1 head green leaf or romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup amaranth, (uncooked)
1/2 cup red lentils (uncooked)
2 cups water
1 medium Russet potato, grated
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons rice flour
2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal (or regular)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup organic raw cashews (optional to soak)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk, more if needed
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp organic BBQ sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lay a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. In a medium pot, place amaranth, lentils, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed and amaranth and lentils are cooked. Let it cool.
3. While amaranth is cooking, grate the potato into a large mixing bowl. With your hands squeeze the shredded potato over sink to release excess water. Return to bowl and add chopped onion, garlic, and parsley. Add cooked amaranth/lentil mixture and mix well with your hands. Add mustard, ketchup, spices, cornmeal and rice flour. Mix well.
4. Form into small patties, then place them on baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 8-10 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
5. While cooking, make BBQ dressing.
6. Combine all dressing ingredients into a high speed blender, blend until creamy, using more non-dairy milk if needed.
7. Serve patties on a bed or romaine (or any other type of lettuce.) Top with BBQ dressing and any other toppings you desire, I used salsa.